Ferdinand Walter (1794-1879)
 
Google

Und war er nicht als Redakteur des »Katholik« und später als akademischer Lehrer in München gleich dem Mann aus Tarsus in den Dienst jener Verkündigung getreten, deren Inhalt - wie es im Motto der »Eos« mit Paulus (1 Kor 1,23b) hieß - den Heiden aller Zeiten als Torheit und Ärgernis erscheinen mußte? Galt er nicht auch den Männern seiner ›Tafelrunde‹ je länger desto mehr als eine »geistige Riesengestalt mit dem breiten Schwerte in der Hand?« Ferdinand Walter, Aus meinem Leben, Bonn 1865, 318; zit. nach GS, EB I, 503.
It was not above the Catholic Editor who later became an academic instructor in Munich alike to service announcements on behalf of the "body" - with the motto "Eos mit Paulus" or "Dawn" with "Paulus." He called- the Heathens in their great times of foolery and annoyance atleast in appearance? To go and not put their Manhood ahead of the committee,which holds a greater balance and inward great design, ready to cast the Sword in Hand. Ferdinand Walter, Aus meinem Leben, Bonn 1865

 

Presidential Gold Medal, College De Cologne (pg. 13)

 

 

 

 

 

Research Area

 

 

Click Above to view Map of Germany. Bonn, Munster & Heidelberg.

Ferdinand Walter serves as an excellent example of a likely relative from the Münster, Westphalen area of Prussia. I am inquistive of his possible relation, direct or tangential. Ferdinand was born a bit south of Münster in Wetzlar in 1794. In 1814 he volunteered with the Prussians against Napoleon.

Before the war Ferdinand studied at the Latin School of Muhlheim on the Rhine (1805-09,) later at Cologne (1809-13,) At Cologne, under French Occupation, Ferdinand receivecd a Presidential Gold Medallion for a document he wrote in 1811* The Gold Medallion depicts Kaiser (King) Napoleon, it is undestood then that Ferdinand fought the French, 1815 was the year the British/Russian/Prussian alliance defeated Napoleon. (@Wikpedia) After the war Ferdinand went to Heidelberg University, for "jurisprudence," or law, where he is said to have graduated November 22, 1817. He remained at Heidelburg until Easter of 1819 as a privatdozent, a private lecturer/professor.

The new University about 150 miles south of Münster, named the Rheini Friedrich William University of Bonn called on Walter to be a Professor. Walter was known as a champion of the rights of the Church against civil encroachment. Walter was Catholic.

Walter was a member of the Prussian National Assembly in 1848. Previously in 1846 he served as co-founder and was nominated president of the Johannes Hospital. Johannes was a joint hospital project between all major denominations of the area, Catholics, Protestants & Jews. Walter deplored the way the Church had let the hospital situation deterioarte so.

Later in 1849 he staunchly defended the "ecclesiastical indepence in the management of church affairs." So the church turned to people like him to advocate their affairs.

Walter retired from teaching at Bonn in 1875, on account of blindness. He died December 13, 1879.

*Biographical Source

St. Johannes Citizens Hospital

 

 

 

 

 

Below: Translated by Google *Source (2)

1842 became in Bonn for the first time voices loud, which demanded a hospital for supply arms and patients. For the realization of this karitativen task a hospital association was created. On 1 June 1842 there was the first general assembly of the hospital association.

The realization of the project was not an illusion, because in July the hospital association had already over 100 members. On 18 July 1842 that man was selected to the president, who had exerted himself from the first hour of the hospital project: Secret advice Ferdinand Walter.

 

On 1 December 1842 the executive committee decided to purchase a building site. One found a suitable property before the former Coelnthor in the north of the city. Properties were less expensive in the north than in the rich south. On 18 December 1844 several properties were acquired.

The solemn groundbreaking took place on 22 July 1846. On 7 March 1849 the Prussian King Friedrich William gave the Corporation by cabinet order. Thus the way was free for the establishment of a Kuratoriums. On 3 November 1849 the first Barmherzigen sisters of the Hl. came, they were nuns expected by the church to administer the care taking.

As it means in the old statute: "the Kuratorium has over the rights and the fortune of the donation to awake. Under the name ' citizen hospital to the Hl. Johannes the Taeufer ' in the life called donation, their basis in a hospital building established by that hospital associations to Bonn from means of the private charity is certain on eternal times to the admission and food supply of poor ones and patients and ageweak of all denominations ".

Today, 156 years later, the pc. Johannes hospital before the from stands. The Jo-Ho, how it is affectionately called of Bonn citizens, survived two world wars. Now it looks completely like it, as if it would not survive the fusion with the pc. Petrus and pc. Elizabeth hospital.

Source: St. Johannes Hospital

Source: The establishment of the citizen hospital to the Hl. Johannes the Taeufer Sabine Harling

Ferdinand Walter (ca 1873)


The "urban arm" administration, 1819 agreed with the University Clinic, in order to accommodate poor patients in need of care. But the offer was not sufficient. Law professor Ferdinand Walter deplored the Catholic Bishop over the bad state. In Bonn, Walter called weekly in the papers, 1842 that donations from Catholics, Protestanten and Jews be used to create the hospital association. The controversy was not missing.

The Catholics planned to entrust the hospital to the "Barmherzigen sisters". They were catholic nuns, who had experience in the ill and "arm" care. This was a hotly debated issue amongst the constituents, and caused many disagreeances.

Catholic marketing

The hospital's architect van Emden planned first a building with 150-170 beds. That turned out as too expensive. A smaller building with expandabilities was begun. The Cologne archbishop participated in the groundbreaking. The town's schutzheiliger "Patron Saint," Johannes lent the name to the hospital.

Source

Background: Prussian Wars 1848 @ Wikipedia.com

Left: Johannes Hospital Exterior. Above: Interior Johannes Hospital